Sunday, September 1, 2013

Porch-sitting on PEI



God and I warred over reasons for DC. I wanted to go for love, to make a name for myself, for exodus from the cramped Midwest. He delivered me into the wilderness to get my attention. To cut back the excess until He was all that was left. To make me wait. To make me beg for the promised land, to weep for loneliness, to find co-wanderers, to delight in His will and walk in His ways, to the glory of His name.

Can a life of ambition live peacefully next to a life of beauty? Can ambition only be fulfilled through making money and feeling that the work I do matters? Or can a life of inconsequential work still be glorifying? Is delighting in Him and receiving the desires of my heart its own reward? Can delight coexist with despair? Contentment with restlessness? Loneliness with bone-deep companionship?

1 comment: